Saturday, September 17, 2011 | |

Crafting Art on Both Sides of the Hyphen: A Discussion on Latin-American Art


Latin-American Art -- this was the topic of a panel discussion I curated/moderated this past week in Miami, Florida. Actually, the talk revolved around the figurative place that lies between South and North America; the "Latin" artists that live with a foot in both worlds, straddling the hyphen itself. Some of them grabbing on to it, embracing it, some of them longing to be free of it, shaking it off daily -- not with a rumba, let's be clear, but with a vigorous force of intellect.

When I was younger and people asked me if I was a Cuban-American writer or a "Latina" artist I'd get annoyed. "Your colors are so Latin," they'd say, as if "Latin-Americans" were the only people that could enjoy the bright flare of magenta. Today, due to pragmatic reasons I use the term myself, call myself Cuban-American; sometimes even "Latin," but only because they, these terms, reference the past and the past always influences the present. I never call myself "Latina" -- it just seems like too much sometimes, to say that.

All of these terms are growing increasingly complicated in a world that seems to further collide cultures, countries, hemispheres, continents -- erasing borders and creating them at the same time. Instead of complaining, I've always thought the best thing to do is to continue to talk it out. Until the terms themselves carry the weight of dialogue rather than any kind of ancient or neo-colonialism.

** The panel took place at the BUENA VISTA BUILDING, where an exhibit of Cecilia Moreno-Yaghoubi continues to exhibit through Oct. 8 (date of closing reception). 180 NE 39th Street is the Address. The image attached to today's blog is the invitation to the show.

No comments: